|Chive and cheddar buttermilk scones|
Chives are one of the first things that show up in my herb barrels each spring and they just make you smile. They are bright, and straight and reaching for the sun as quick as they can in early spring. They add such a delicious flavor to eggs, scones, cornbread, or as a fresh garnish to tacos or any soup or stew.
|Herb barrel garden spring chives|
I use my kitchen scissors to snip off a small bundle. Give them a quick rinse and they are ready to be finely diced.
|Spring chives, freshly picked and finely diced. The fragrance is sweet and green.|
Use a great tasting cheddar cheese and a generous amount of chives in these scones and you will be able to serve a bit of spring with your breakfast, lunch or dinner. These scones are best served warm and eaten fresh. Yum!
Chive and Cheddar Buttermilk Scones
The fresh taste of spring chives incorporated into a savory scone, complimented with cheddar cheese.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chives, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat your oven to 425 (F). Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the buttermilk and chives then add them to the dry ingredients. Stir just until barely combined then turn out the sticky dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 5 times, just enough to gather everything together.
- Shape the dough into a rough 8 inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges and then place them on your baking sheet with room around each one.
- Lightly brush the top with some cream or milk. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, just until the bottoms are golden brown. Transfer from the baking sheet and serve immediately. Enjoy!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 large scones