|Rhubarb kuchen with a dollop of whipped cream|
Kuchen is sort of like a pie, or a cake, or a crumble ... kind of a blend of all three, really. It uses a crust similar to a pie crust, a custard and fruit filling, and then a crumble on top, baked in a cake pan. Hmm. Well, whatever it is, it is a great way to show off all that fresh (or frozen) rhubarb of spring. Each bite is a layer of surprises - the sweet crumble, the tart rhubarb and creamy custard, all held together with a buttery crust.
|Rhubarb spread over the crust|
You can use frozen rhubarb in this recipe - just do not thaw it ahead of time and I would add in an extra cup or so. You can also use all-purpose flour if would like. I am still on my spelt kick and I am finding that baking sweets with it gives a balanced nutty, savory note that I am really hooked on. I recommend giving this a try with spelt if you happen to have some on hand I think you will love it.
Is it a cake, a pie, or a crumble? A bit of all those, that's what makes it kuchen. With rhubarb this is a buttery sweet-tart dessert that is very satisfying.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 12 Tbs butter, cubed into smaller pieces
- 1 egg
- 7 - 8 cups rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Crumble Topping
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 Tbs butter, cubed into smaller pieces
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 (F). Prepare the crust by placing all crust ingredients in the food processor and pulsing until everything is combined enough to form a course sand texture. In the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish press the crust flat in an even layer.
- Evenly spread the rhubarb pieces over the crust. Whisk together the eggs, sugar and ginger and pour the custard over the rhubarb.
- In the same bowl of the food processor (no need to clean it between uses here) pulse the flour, sugar and butter until it forms a sandy crumble. Spread this evenly over the rhubarb and custard.
- Bake for 45 - 1 hour 15 minutes, just until you see bubbles in the middle of the pan. Cool completely before serving with whipped cream or ice cream or as is. Enjoy!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 24 servings