|The palest shade of green with flecks of orange, really delicious|
Zucchini bread is not all that creative, I know, but it was a good fit into a busy Saturday schedule that was already packed with kid priorities and preparations for returning to school on Monday. I am not quite sure how it happens but when we are on break from school and we stay home, somehow the laundry starts breeding out of control and the dishes pile very high. So. While taming those beasts and working on homework we had put off until the very last moment I put together this quick bread. I think that the orange and pine nuts worked together in a slightly savory kind of harmony. The pot cheese is the ingredient that I am using to provide the fat you normally would see - if you don't have any on hand, make some! Or just substitute ricotta, cottage cheese or even cold butter and it will work out just fine.
Orange and Pine Nut Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tsp orange zest
- /2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup pot cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 (F). Grease one loaf pan well.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and orange zest together well and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, or oversized measuring cup, combine the orange juice, yogurt, pot cheese (or ricotta or cottage cheese) and egg, beating well.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry, mixing until just barely combined. There will still be some lumps - you just want this to be barely mixed together.
- Fold in the zucchini and pine nuts. Pour your batter into your waiting loaf pan. Cook for approximately 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan.
- Eat plain or toasted with butter or cream cheese. Good stuff.
Prep Time: 00:15
Cook time: 01:10
Total carbs: 29