These waffles take some pre-planning and are fussy, but the results will have you up at 10 o'clock at night getting a batch ready for the next morning. They really are amazing.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 8 tbs butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, separated
- The night before, combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make sure you are using a large enough bowl, the batter will double in size. Stir in the milk, yogurt and butter until smooth and creamy. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it on your counter over night at room temperature.
- The next morning, separate the eggs. Stir the yolks into the batter, mixing well. Whip the egg whites until they hold a soft peak then fold them into the waffle mixture.
- Lightly grease your waffle iron and spread enough batter to just barely cover it. Cook according to your iron's instructions, usually 3 - 5 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup, jam, warm applesauce with cinnamon, fresh fruit and whip cream, bananas and Nutella, or any other combination of great things. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 00:10
Cook time: 00:05