|Crock pot Thai curry chicken with brown rice|
Crock Pot Thai Curry Chicken
I like to add additional vegetables like zucchini, green peppers, red peppers, kale, celery, or eggplant. This recipe is very experiment friendly.
- 1 whole chicken, rinsed and dried (3-4 lbs.)
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 onion cut in half and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic -- minced
- 4 carrots in chunks
- 2 tbs grated fresh ginger root
- 1 jalapeno chili, stemmed, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 4 tsp green curry powder
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (one 13 1/2 oz. can)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick, 1 1/2 inches long
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs potatoes, small red or white
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cut the chicken up into separate pieces, thighs, drumsticks, breasts and wings. You can also substitute all thighs or a mixture of thighs and breasts, whatever you prefer. Generously salt and pepper each piece.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on a high flame. Get your splatter guard handy and place half of the pieces of chicken into the hot oil, skin side down. Try not to mess with them at this point, letting them cook until they are a deep golden brown color, approximately 6 minutes. Flip them over and cook for another couple of minutes. Remove from the pan to a waiting plate and repeat until all pieces are done. Do not crowd the pan.
- Peel off the skin from the chicken and layer it in the bottom of the crock pot. Toss in the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Pour off most of the fat, leaving a tablespoon at most. Don't bother cleaning the skillet out, you want those brown bits. Add the onion, carrots, ginger, garlic and jalapeno chili (if using), tossing just until the onions are translucent. Add some salt, pepper and the curry powder and heat through until fragrant, about a minute. Toss all of this into the crock pot on top of the chicken.
- Put the tomatoes, stock and coconut milk into the pot and then along the outer edge wedge in the potatoes. You want these nearest the heat and under liquid to be sure they cook all the way through.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Once everything is cooked through, remove the vegetables and chicken. Turn the crock pot to high. Mix the flour with just enough water to make a slurry. Whisk into the curry sauce in the crock pot and cook for 15 minutes, or until the flour taste is gone and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with a side of brown rice or couscous.
Prep Time: 00:20
Cook time: 04:00
Total carbs: 34